- How do I install phpSocial?
1. Unzip the contents of the zip file downloaded from phpsocial.net into a separate directory.
2. Create a directory on your server where phpSocial will be installed (i.e. 'phpSocial'). You can also use your HTTP root directory (i.e. 'httpdocs' or “/public_html”). You can also use a subdomain (i.e. phpsocial.yourdomain.com )
3. FTP upload all of the files and folders contained in the directory that you created to your server. Do not upload how_to_install.html
- - Upload the folders '/images' and '/include' directories in BINARY mode.
- - Upload everything else in ASCII mode.
4. Using your FTP client:
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/cache' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/include' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/language' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/language/indexes' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/uploads_user' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/uploads_admin' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/uploads_admin/ads' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/include/smarty/cache' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on the '/include/smarty/templates_c' directory
- Set full permissions (CHMOD 777) on every file inside the '/templates' directory
5. Point your browser to where you uploaded Install.php, for example: http://www.yoursite.com/phpSocial/Install.php
6. Create a MySQL database on your server using your web host’s control panel. Keep note of the username & password used.
7. Create a MySQL user on your server and assigned “ALL PRIVELAGES” for that user and the database you will be using.
8. Input the information to Install.php – if your MySQL database is hosted on the same server as your webhost, your hostname will be “localhost”.
9. Once this has completed successfully, a password will be randomly generated for you for your admin panel. You can change your username/password on the 'View Admins' page at any time.
10. You will need to register for an account at phpsocial.net to obtain a free license key (good for the lifetime of the software) in order to access your website. The instructions are on the last install page.
11. Remember to delete 'Install.php' and 'InstallDatabase.php' after your installation has completed successfully. Leaving these files intact poses a serious security risk!Warning: Please make sure your license file is writeable.
- How do I install Plugins?
Please follow the installation instructions below
1. Unpack the plugin to your domain/site root directory
2. Go to View Plugins section in the admin panel /admin/AdminViewplugins.php. The plugin you have uploaded to your FTP will now appear on this page. Please click "Install"
3. Open Layout settings --> Help URLs in the PHPSocial admin panel
4. Copy the code from the "Help URLs" and paste it to .htaccess file located in your site's root directory
5. In case you install music plugin, classifieds plugin, events plugin, article plugin or groups plugin please make sure to CMOD 777 permission to uploads_ folder. For example uploads_article, uploads_classified, uploads_event, uploads_group
- What are the Server Requirements for phpSocial?
Please make sure your server meets these basic requirements:
- PHP version 5.1.2 or higher must be installed
- You must have access to an available MySQL database
- Your server must have PHP session support
- You must have an Apache server with mod_rewrite capabilities
If you're not sure if your web hosting meets these requirements, open a support ticket with your hosting provider. Most web hosts have these basics available to you. If you do not already have hosting for the domain that you will be installing phpSocial to, we recommend you open a support ticket with them and verify that they meet the requirements of phpSocial before you purchase a plan.
You will also need an FTP client, such as the free FileZilla http://www.filezilla.com , to upload files to your web server. If you require help in using an FTP client, your web host should be able to help you.